Halloween Safety with Experts on WGN Radio


Very scary on Steve Dale’s Pet World, WGN radio listen HERE to Dr. Renee Schmid, manager of medicine and professional services; senior veterinary toxicologist Pet Poison Helpline, discusses dangers to keep our pets away from over Halloween. Dr.Schmid explains how the combination of theobromine and caffeine in chocolate can be toxic or cause pancreatitis. Sometimes people might get raisins while trick or treating – for people, that’s fine – but not so much for dogs, as raisins may cause kidney failure. Xylitol (a sugar substitute) can be incredibly dangerous, even fatal to dogs. Glow sticks which kids enjoy playing with, can be a problem too.

Lighting a Jack ‘O Lantern with a fragrance can smell nice for us, but cause respiratory distress in pet birds.

For questions at this 24/7 animal poison control control center over Halloween or anytime help is needed, call 855-764-7661.

The rattiest cities were just named, so Dr. Schmid explains what to do if a pet gets into rat bait, and treatment is dependent on the kind of poison.

Veterinary behaviorist Dr. Chris Pachel talks about minimizing fear, anxiety and stress some pets have when that doorbell is constantly ringing.  Dr. Pachel talks about some products that can help (like Zylkene or plugging a pheromone product), but also keeping the pet behind a closed door in a bedroom, an office or a basement. One reason is that no one wants the frightened pets bolting out the front door.

And tips about pet costumes. And Dr. Pachel offers advice on whether or not it’s a good idea to take the dog trick or treating too.

Senior Pet Month

November is Senior Pet Month, and Steve, who is on the Advisory Board of the Grey Muzzle Organization, tells the story of one senior dog finally adopted. And how Guinea pigs are finding their way into New York shelters.