New 24-Hour PROZINC Diabetic Product for Dogs
Less worry for diabetic pets, this new product this product, called PROZINC, is from Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health and it is a once daily administration and approved for dogs.
Boehringer Ingelheim unveiled a new presentation of PROZINC® (protamine zinc recombinant human insulin) with the proven benefit of once-daily dosing in most canine diabetic patients. Now, with two presentations designed for feline and canine patients, PROZINC is the insulin veterinarians have been waiting for.
“Once-daily dosing with PROZINC is a breakthrough for pet owners with diabetic dogs,” explained Grant Beckett, BVSc MRCVS, senior associate director, Technical Marketing, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health. “A single injection can provide consistent and reliable control of clinical signs for 18 to >24 hours in most canine patients. Not only is PROZINC more convenient for dog owners, but it reinforces veterinarians’ commitment to providing a better quality of life for their patients.”
PROZINC is FDA-approved to reduce hyperglycemia and hyperglycemia-associated clinical signs in dogs2, and offers:
- An extended duration of action: pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic data demonstrate a duration of action, in both healthy and diabetic dogs, of 16 to >24 hours with once-daily, single site administration of protamine zincrecombinant human insulin1,2
- Consistent glycemic control: based on a study using continuous glucose monitoring, there was low intra-day variability of blood glucose levels in dogs that were well regulated on PROZINC1
- Demonstrated improvement in clinical signs: in a field study, clinical signs, including polydipsia, polyuria, and weight loss, began to ameliorate quickly, and then progressively
- 62% of dogs showed improvement by Day 14, and 87% of dogs showed improvement by Day 842
- Rigorously tested efficacy: diabetic control with PROZINC was attained at similar rates in both naïve and previously-treated populations2
To assist pet owners with at-home care, Boehringer Ingelheim offers tools and education – including a home care diary, dosing magnets and digital education materials, available at PROZINC.US. “With our materials, diabetic dogs and their owners will be equipped to lead happier lives,” added Beckett.